The Sisters of Bon Secours were founded in 1824 to respond to the needs of those who were sick and dying in Paris by providing health care to them in their homes. Through their care, they believed that they were bringing God’s healing, compassion and liberation to those in need by helping to alleviate their suffering and bringing a message of hope and assurance that there is a God who loves them.
The first three Sisters of Bon Secours arrived in Baltimore, Maryland, in 1881, and established their first hospital in 1919. By 1980, the Sisters had established or assumed responsibility for several Catholic hospitals, long-term care facilities, and other health care services. The Sisters formed Bon Secours Health System in 1983 to provide skilled, unified management and professional resources for all their health care operations while preserving their Catholic tradition of providing quality care to all, especially to those who are poor, sick and dying.
Since 1983, through acquisitions and joint ventures with other religious and non-sectarian organizations, the system has added facilities in several communities—Charleston and Greenville, South Carolina; Portsmouth, Richmond, Norfolk, and Newport News, Virginia; Suffern, Riverdale, Warwick, and Port Jervis, New York; Ashland, Kentucky; and St. Petersburg, Florida. In 2016, Bon Secours Health System became Bon Secours.