Lecture Series: The Destruction of Cox’s Plantation and Building General Butler’s Canal, August 1864 – January 1865
- August 7, 2020 | 7:00 pm
7 – 8 pm (doors open at 6:30)
Dutch Gap was a prominent landmark by the time of the American Civil War and was certainly a military landmark by the end of the war in 1865. The land adjacent to the canal had a varied history. It was originally settled by Sir Thomas Dale but by the 19th century became Henry Cox’s plantation until August 1864 when it was overrun by General Benjamin’s Butler’s Union soldiers who were ordered to create a military canal through the land. The presentation will use numerous maps and images to help tell the story of the soldiers and civilians who experienced the war in this area and will end with a short walk to the exhumed graveyard that once held the dead of both white and black soldiers of General Butler’s army killed at this location. Lectures will take place in the Henricus Church. Space is limited. Tickets available online only.
Cost: $20 (free admission to visit during regular hours included. Must be used within 90 days of purchase) Members: $10