Contributions to Retirement Accounts

By By Kimberly Lankford, Kiplinger's Personal Finance | February 15th, 2017

A Q&A with a financial expert.

Post Image

Q: How much can I contribute to my IRA and 401(k) in 2017?

A: The contribution limits aren’t changing in 2017. You’ll still be able to contribute up to $18,000 to a 401(k), 403(b), 457 or Thrift Savings Plan. If you’re 50 or older anytime in 2017, you can also make a catch-up contribution of up to $6,000, bringing the total to $24,000.

The IRA contribution limits remain the same for 2017, too: $5,500, plus an extra $1,000 catch-up contribution if you’re 50 or older.

The income limits to qualify to make Roth IRA contributions are increasing very slightly — by $1,000 for single filers and $2,000 for married couples filing jointly. If you’re a single filer, you’ll be able to contribute the full amount to a Roth IRA in 2017 if your adjusted gross income is less than $118,000, and the contribution amount phases out completely if you earn more than $133,000. Joint filers can contribute the full amount if their income is less than $186,000 in 2017, with the contribution amount phasing out completely if they earn more than $196,000.

The income limits to qualify for the retirement savers’ tax credit are also rising by a very small amount. To be eligible for the credit, income must be less than $31,000 for single filers, $46,500 for heads of household or $62,000 for married couples filing jointly in 2017. The credit can be worth up to $1,000 per person, or up to $2,000 for married couples, with the size of the credit based on income and the amount of money contributed to a retirement-savings plan, such as a 401(k) or IRA. The lower your income, the larger the credit. If your income is just below the cutoff, the credit is worth up to $200 per person or $400 for a married couple.

Kimberly Lankford is a contributing editor to Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine. Send your questions and comments to And for more on this and similar money topics, visit

(c) 2016 Kiplinger’s Personal Finance; Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

More from Boomer

man concerned about his finances looking at laptop and calculator Photo by Szefei Dreamstime. For article, Your retirement savings will affect the comfort of your post-retirement life. If you’re starting late, here are tips to boost your savings. Image

7 Tips to Improve Your Retirement Savings

By Lyle Solomon | March 15, 2022
books with $100 bills sticking out Stokato Dreamstime. For article, The Best Financial Books of 2021 Image

The Best Financial Books of 2021

By Jill Schlesinger, Jill on Money | January 11, 2022
senior snorkelers. Credit: mirko vitali dreamstime. For article on Boomers Financing Post-COVID Travel Image

Baby Boomers Ramp Up Their Post-COVID Travel

By Sponsored by Abacus Life Settlements | July 22, 2021