Hustle for Muscle and Pay for Your Pain: Trivia Quiz & Crossword Puzzle
Fitness and weight loss programs over the years
Do you remember the phrases “No pain, no gain!” and “Feel the burn!”? Jane Fonda helped to popularize these in her 1980s aerobics workout videos. She was but one of the celebrities who coached us to be better versions of ourselves. Some celebs were famous before – and some famous for – their exercise guru status. Do you recall some of the crazy gadgets, diets, and fad workouts that grabbed our attention and our dollars back in the day? How well do you remember? Take this fitness fads trivia quiz to find out!
By Boomer Staff
- Multiple choice: Which of the following products has not been marketed to promote fitness and/or weight loss during baby boomer lifetimes?
a. Hula hoop
b. Exercise sandal
c. Vibrating belt
- True or false: Since it was founded in 1963, Weight Watchers has included wacky diet programs like the Sexy Pineapple Diet, Hollywood Diet and Sleeping Beauty Diet.
- Fill in the blanks: The high-energy video workouts promoted by American actress ____ ____ beginning in 1982 typically featured women clad in leotards and leg warmers.
- Matching: Match the fitness celebrity with the factoids.
|a. Charles Atlas||i. Aka the “Godfather of Fitness”|
|b. Jack LaLanne||ii. Promotes “Sweatin’ to the Oldies”|
|c. Richard Simmons||iii. Ads for his program included “The Insult that Turned a ‘Chump’ into a Champ”|
|d. Bonnie Prudden||iv. Introduced the concept of aerobic exercise|
|e. Dr. Kenneth Cooper||v. Influenced Eisenhower’s establishment of the President’s Council on Youth Fitness|
- Unscramble: This fitness franchise, founded in Chicago in 1969, has made its way into pop culture, including mentions in Taxi, The Golden Girls and more recent shows such as Glee and The Daily Show. Unscramble the name.
C R A Z J S E I Z E
By Myles Mellor
1 Once known for recreational equipment, but don’t “pin” them down
3 Easily a favorite piece of gym equipment
5 ____ Bo fitness program
7 Recipe direction
8 Quick sleep
10 The ____ Diet considers calories burned producing thermal energy
11 Eat in the evening
12 Fitness program based on dance moves
14 Trademark, abbr.
16 Augusta’s state, abbr.
18 Crying vegetable
19 More parched
20 “____ better to have loved …”
23 Go brown in the sun
27 Cool sports and music at Richmond, Virginia’s ____rock festival
28 Well-known omega-3 source
1 East Coast fitness club, or Acetylacetone, abbr.
2 Passing phase
3 Runners, walkers, costumes at Richmond’s ____ ____ 10k
4 Piece of advice
5 Vintage exercise board, two words
6 Day just before an event
9 Police alert
11 Form of Japanese wrestling
13 Reducing plan candy
15 National franchise gym and an Olympic goal
17 “No-judgment” fitness or ab exercise
22 Tuna type
25 Hospital show
26 Belonging to
Myles Mellor has published more than 13,000 puzzles and 35 puzzle books, has written for more than 600 magazines and companies, and syndicates his work to more than 100 newspapers. MylesMellor.com
How well did you do?
Go to the answers page at BoomerMagazine.com/fitness-fads-trivia-quiz-answers to find out!