Trivia: The Multifaceted Diamond
April 16th, 2019
Gemstone, baseball infield, geometric shape and more
- In 1954, the diamond in this Richmond baseball field, ____ ____, saw its first official game of the International League team, the Richmond Virginians (the Vees), a Yankees’ farm club.
- Which of the following artists recorded songs with “diamond” in the title?
- Gary Lewis & the Playboys
- Paul Simon
- Seals & Crofts
- The Beatles
- All of the above
- True or false: The walnut-size, impeccably clear, white Hope diamond shines red after exposure to short-wave ultraviolet light.
- Each of these baseball players has Virginia connections. Match the name to the description.
|I. Tommie Aaron||a. Third basemen in the Negro leagues before Major League Baseball was racially integrated; born in Richmond|
|II. Granny Hamner||b. Retired MLB pitcher co-founded COTU Brewing in Ashland|
|III. Ray Dandridge||c. All-American Girls Professional Baseball League player from 1943 to 1954; born in Richmond|
|IV. Thelma Childress||d. Played for the Richmond Braves in 1966, ’67, ’71 and ’72, International League MVP in ’67 and manager of the R Braves in ’77 and ’78|
|V. Chris Ray||e. One of the “Whiz Kids” on the 1950 National League champion Philadelphia Phillies; born in Richmond|
- This 1971 movie featured Sean Connery, Jill St. John and Jimmy Dean, a musician, actor and sausage entrepreneur who later moved to the Richmond area.
M O A N S D I D E R A E E R R O F V
How do you think you did?